Delayed in my reading, I just ran across the following. It gives basically
the same info as my previous post.  Ellen Chapman

A Champion of outsiders closes her legendary gallery.
Art in America, October 2009, p. 200

It starts out:
In late July, Phyllis Kind, <snip> announced the closing of her New York
gallery, ending a run that lasted more than four decades and included
venues in Chicago and New York. <snip> Kind, 76, suffered a minor stroke
late last year; unable to easily return to work, she reluctantly decided
to shutter the gallery at the end of the summer.