From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Weidman
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 1:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] BHA

Colleagues,

The French, who co-published/processed BHA from its beginning, were the ones that began the demise of BHA when, several years ago, they decided to pull out of the joint responsibility with the Getty.  This information was advertised rather limitedly, but it was what began the downslide that has resulted in where we are now, so it is no wonder that the French are not now interested in hosting the "dead" BHA.

We must all now prepare for the disappearance of the online BHA, but those of us who have retained the print volumes, to whatever extent (I suspect that most libraries discontinued the print volumes, once they began the subscription to the online BHA, but some chose to withdraw those volumes entirely, alas), so some of us will now move our print volumes back to our main reference collections, along with the RILA volumes, and the RAA volumes.

For, if it hasn't all sunk in yet, what with where events have now brought us, we are now facing the extinction of not only the online BHA, but also the online RILA, and those relatively few years of the RAA that were accessible electronically.

Not only those libraries that possess the print volumes of these three titles, but the libraries that possess the following three titles, will be in a good shape to assist their users in identifying articles published in festschriften:

                --Lincoln, Betty Woelk.  Festschriften in Art History, 1960-1975: Bibliography and
            Index.  New York: Garland Publishing, 1988.

And

            --Rave, Paul Ortwin.  Kunstgeschichte in Festschriften: Allgemeine Bibliographie
            Kunstwissenschaftlicher Abhandlungen in den bis 1960 Erschienenen
            Festschriften.  Berlin: Verlag Gebr. Mann, 1962.

As well as

            --Rounds, Dorothy.  Articles on Antiquity in Festschriften: The Ancient Near East, The Old
            Testament, Greece, Rome, Roman Law, Byzantium: An Index.  Cambridge:
            Harvard University Press, 1962.

As we move forward from the wrenching disappearance of the electronic versions of BHA, RILA, and some of RAA, we need to think about ways and resources that can assist us and our users to identify sources, when we can no longer rely on what many of us may have once taken for granted.

While arguably no other online resources will ever individually replace as equivalents or really ever come close to approaching the richness and depth of RILA, the relatively little bit of RAA that had been converted, or of BHA, there are many online databases that include the indexing/abstracting of international art and architecture materials.

We need to share, on this listserv, the sources that we find viable for our work, even if some of the resources may be economically outside our individual library's price-range at the present.

(Also, there are many excellent non-subscription websites that provide related material, and these are resources to explore parallely, in another listserv email discussion; as an example, for those interested in American Art before 1945, see my document of "Web Resources for American Art Founded by Jeffrey Weidman," on the newly redesigned website for the Association of Historians of American Art:
< http://www.ahaaonline.com >, and then click on "Read More" under "New Web Resources," at the far right. I can also share with anyone, as a WORD file, the Bookmarks file of URLs that I have been compiling since 1998, the latest version of which is a resource on our public PCs, which consists of 14,000+ URLs organized by 320+ subject categories.  Many on the ARLIS/NA listserv already regularly receive the updates of this file; anyone who would like to begin receiving the latest version, and subsequent updates, just send me an email requesting such, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

For now, regarding online databases vis a vis the immediate demise of BHA/RILA/RAA, here are some sources to consider as potentially useful:

--Academic OneFile
--Academic Search Premier
--ACLS humanities E-Book
--ArchiveGrid
--Art Abstracts
--Art Full Text
--ArtBibliographies Modern
--Arts & Humanities Citation Index
--Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
--British Periodicals I and II
--FIAF members Publications
--General OneFile
--Google Scholar
--Guide to Reference Online
--JSTOR
--OmniFile V Full Text
--Oxford Art Online
--Oxford Reference Online Premium
--Project Muse
--Scopus

For Images:

--Art Museum Image Gallery
--ARTStor
--CAMIO - Catalog of Art Museum Images Online

Jeffrey Weidman, M.A., Ph.D., M.L.S.
Senior Librarian, Public Services & Collection Development
Spencer Art Reference Library
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
4525 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO  64111