Dear Friends,

I have watched this discussion of the demise of BHA with great interest.  I think it is clear now that there is a demise of BHA and that it will take place on March 31st 2010 despite our best efforts.  To that end, Rebecca Cooper and I here at UVA, have lobbied successfully, despite hard budget issues, to get the Wilson Art Suite (Art Index Retro, Art Full Text, Avery Index, and two images galleries) and to maintain subscriptions to both ArtBib Modern and DAAI.  This appears to be the best route to go for now from our perspective.  I have a few thoughts to give on the discussion:

-BHA only covered Late Antiquity to Modern with a Eurocentric view.  That left other large chunks of art and archaeology such as Greek, Roman, East Asian, South Asian and many others outside of BHA.  They are fairing nicely without BHA even now.  Those areas are now strong in many art history departments and are covered in Art Index. Modern back to Manet is well covered in ArtBib Modern which covers a wider range of regions and topics.  If BHA returns, perhaps it should be more inclusive.

-BHA covered more than journals and that will be missed.  However, I am a medievalist who is currently working on Byzantine and Frankish pottery.  I begin my research usually in Google Scholar and follow the bibliography trail.  Links to JSTOR will still be there and current work in the field can often be found on websites.

-Maybe we need to start teaching research methods with less dependence on traditional database explication and more on ferreting out the content.  Art History could use a fresh look at where the resources are and no more BHA will force that issue for the traditional areas of the field such as Medieval, the Renaissances, and Early Modern that will still be affected by losing BHA.

It is hard to give up BHA for those of us schooled on it, but I am looking to find other new resources rather than duplicate it.  It would be good if ARLIS Collections Group would consider an “apres BHA Chat” at the Boston conference.

Yours,
-- Lucie

Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Head, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library