Well, it seems obvious that this is/was a ploy in an institutional
poker-game. I mean if BHA goes dark the discipline of art history comes to a
grinding halt.  This will be true even at the Getty: and what is the point
of a research institute if you can't conduct serious research in the field
you are pledged to support?  One could make the argument that BHA is the
single most important contribution that the Getty makes to our cultural
heritage--more important than its laudable collection and conservation
programs.

I do often make the case that the library world needs to take back
responsibility for indexing scholarly content from parasitic enterprises
like Elsevier.  BHA was a prime example of a successful endeavor of this
kind, particularly because it involved numerous institutional contributors
across the world. The sort of thing we have witnessed recently, however,
undermines the argument that the academic community is capable of providing
secure and sustainable access to its own research, and this is why I find
the situation especially disappointing.

Lets hope for a happy  ending.  Art historians tend to be slow to react, but
if water is turned off you can bet the invective will keep us entertained in
the arts sections of the international media for months to come.

Thomas

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Jeffrey Weidman <[log in to unmask]