Boston Tours reminder

We hope you will consider taking one of the tours we have offered for the conference; if you’ve already registered and want to add a tour, it’s not too late.  Just visit the “Add-On<http://www.arlisna.org/boston2010/ARLISNA%202010%20conf%20reg%20form%20ADDON.pdf>” page.

First time to Boston? The Friday afternoon tour of Beacon Hill is essential but you might want to fuel yourself for this walking tour of Federal-style architecture with a morning food tour of the North End<http://www.northendmarkettours.com/html/markettours/markettours.html>!

Contemporary art? We have it covered, with a special all day tour out to Williamstown, home of  MassMOCA, <http://www.massmoca.org/>  the Clark Art Institute<http://www.clarkart.edu/> (with a lovely new addition by Tadao Ando), and, in a nod to the past, a visit to Edith Wharton’s summer house<http://www.edithwharton.org/> to see how the other half lived and gardened.

Want to explore the new art scene in Boston? Join us Thursday afternoon as we adventure by subway to visit galleries in the South End, starting at the Boston Sculptors Gallery<http://bostonsculptors.com/> and ending with a glass of wine at the Ars Libri <http://www.arslibri.com/> shop on Harrison Avenue.

Cemeteries and landscapes? We will show you the nation’s first landscaped cemetery (Mt. Auburn<http://www.mountauburn.org/>) as well as the work and office of Frederick Law Olmsted<http://www.nps.gov/frla/index.htm>, the nation’s first landscape architect and premier designer of Boston’s Emerald Necklace.

As for architecture, we have options for everyone. In addition to the Beacon Hill Tour, beginning and ending with buildings designed by Charles Bulfinch<http://www.historicnewengland.org/visit/homes/otis.htm>, we have a day-long trip to Salem to visit the historic buildings and collections of New England’s oldest museum, the Peabody Essex, as well as the Salem Maritime National Historic Site<http://www.nps.gov/sama/index.htm>.

Please note that we have cancelled the tour of the Rose Kennedy Greenway planned for Monday, April 26.  For further descriptions of any of these offerings, please visit the Tours<http://www.arlisna.org/boston2010/tours.htm> section of the conference web site.