From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Henry Pisciotta
Sent: Friday, 26 March 2010 2:12 am
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] artists interventions/pranks in libraries

In relation to a broader study of artists’ interventions in libraries, I would be interested in the experiences of colleagues with pranks in the library that seemed to have artistic motives.  I am primarily seeking examples where permission was not obtained from the library.  Please indicate if pictures or other documents are available.  To clarify my request, here are a couple of examples from my own experience:
A small number of blackened books were discovered inter-filed with arts books at several locations in the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries.  Each was a paperback, not from the library collection, which had apparently been soaked in black ink and dried. These resembled charred books.  Seemed artistic because of the alarming visual impact and strong associations.  No pictures or documentation.  This occurred in the 1990s.
Small cards are occasionally found in books in Pattee Library at Penn State University.  Each contains a brief statement related to questioning or seeking.  All are on the same manila card stock and printed in the same upper case type.   I have saved one example: “If no one will show you what you are looking for, look somewhere else.”
Respond on or off list as you prefer.  (I usually prefer off-list, but perhaps you have an example that will brighten everyone's day.)

Thank you,

Henry Pisciotta
Arts and Architecture Librarian
Penn State University

BTW:  I have plenty of information on the following well-documented examples, but would nonetheless be interested in communicating with people who had direct experience with these events: __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]

This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended

addressed.

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual

sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch

City Council.

If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the

sender and delete.

Christchurch City Council

http://www.ccc.govt.nz