From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mo Dawley
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] artists interventions/pranks in libraries

Henry,
A student intervention (it was actually a class art project done without
library permission) that has inspired me continually is one done
a few years back in Hunt Library where the student rearranged a whole
range of books by their similar colors. Someone could write a whole
thesis on its implications. For me it was not only beautiful, but speaks
to the possibilities of the effectiveness of how we can search and find
regardless of or in addition to what systems institutions might put in
place. Just being in that rainbow of colors made you want to explore (a
critical component in effective research!)
Mo

Mo Dawley
Art and Drama Librarian
Senior Librarian
Carnegie Mellon University

Henry Pisciotta wrote:

> In relation to a broader study of artists' interventions in libraries,
> I would be interested in the experiences of colleagues with pranks in
> the library that seemed to have artistic motives. I am primarily
> seeking examples where permission was not obtained from the library.
> Please indicate if pictures or other documents are available. To
> clarify my request, here are a couple of examples from my own experience:
>
>     A small number of blackened books were discovered inter-filed with
>     arts books at several locations in the Carnegie Mellon University
>     Libraries. Each was a paperback, not from the library collection,
>     which had apparently been soaked in black ink and dried. These
>     resembled charred books. Seemed artistic because of the alarming
>     visual impact and strong associations. No pictures or
>     documentation. This occurred in the 1990s.
>     Small cards are occasionally found in books in Pattee Library at
>     Penn State University. Each contains a brief statement related to
>     questioning or seeking. All are on the same manila card stock and
>     printed in the same upper case type. I have saved one example: "If
>     no one will show you what you are looking for, look somewhere else."
>
> Respond on or off list as you prefer. (I usually prefer off-list, but
> perhaps you have an example that will brighten everyone's day.)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Henry Pisciotta
> Arts and Architecture Librarian
> Penn State University
>

> BTW: I have plenty of information on the following well-documented
> examples, but would nonetheless be interested in communicating with
> people who had direct experience with these events:
>
>     * John Latham, Art and Culture, 1966-9. (St. Martin's School of
>       Art, London)
>     * Temporary Services, Library Project, 2001. (Harold Washington
>       Library, Chicago)
>     * Kathy Slade, 52 Transactions, 2006-7. (Vancouver Public Library)

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\froman\fprq2\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}{\f1\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;}}
{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue0;}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1515;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\cf1\f0\fs24 Mo Dawley\par
Art and Drama Librarian\par
Senior Librarian\par
Carnegie Mellon University\par
412-268-6625\par