Here's something the University of Maryland has as its guideline:http://www.arthistory-archaeology.umd.edu/ARTHwebsitedecommissionedNov32008/webresources/courses/ARTH275/SP05/guidelinesciting.htm

I think you could take the visual art citation and include exhibition name and date seen.

Holly Deakyne, Ohio University

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Duncan, Norine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Gabriela,

I had this same question last fall from a professor here at Brown. I spent a lot of time looking, but didn’t find anything definitive. I’ll paste in my reply to the faculty member.

Nori Duncan, Brown University

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I did post to ARLIS-L and I got a few replies, but none really hit the mark. I did think this response below was worth considering. Yet there are bound to be times when the museum label is the only known source of information.

“I came across the same issue recently -- if the information on the museum label also appears on the museum's website or collection catalogs (which it often does), those sources can be cited instead.

Jennifer Yao

Reference & Instruction Librarian

Adam & Sophie Gimbel Design Library

The New School Libraries

2 West 13th Street

New York, NY 10011

212-229-8914 ext.4285”

I checked the indexes of Chicago Manual of Style, MLA, Turabian, and Evidence Explained—to no avail. Though none of those authoritative sources seem to address the question, I did find some guidelines online:

From the New School in NYC:

Museum Label

Unfortunately, the Chicago Manual of Style has not yet established guidelines

for citing labels in galleries or museums. Include all information that may be

important, such as:

Note:

23. Museum label for artist, Title of artwork, New York, Metropolitan Museum

of Art, 23 August 2004 [optional: name and date of exhibition, additional

information of interest].

Bibliography:

Metropolitan Museum of Art. Museum label for artist, Title of artwork, New

York, 23 August 2004.

From the Univ. of Maryland:

To cite materials posted at the museum, please use the following style:

Format of information (wall text, object label, brochure), Gallery Name, Number or Exhibition Title, Museum Name, City, State.
example: Wall text, Playful Performers, National Museum of African Art, Washington, D.C.

(Nori again)

Personally I do favor including the date, especially if the label is for a temporary exhibition.