Anyone have any thoughts for how to catalog in AACR2 or RDA the fact that a novel has been inspired by a work of art?  We have an inner and outer sarcophagus of an Egyptian named Pa-debehu-Aset (you can see them at http://magart.rochester.edu/OJB10407 and http://magart.rochester.edu/OJB10408) that has inspired a [self-published] novel, and would like to put links into our online catalog record to the collections database records for the coffinsIm thinking just a 500 note that would quote the prefatory material that indicates the relationship.  Our catalogers shared all sorts of possibilities in RDA, including based on, adapted as a novelization, and novelization of, all from J.3.2, but Im not sure that any of those quite fit, or that we need anything that specific.

There must be other examples out there.  I see that Girl with a Pearl Earring uses the cataloging Vermeer, Johannes, 1632-1675—Fiction. But the problem here is of course that there is no artist name to link the Fiction tag to, although we do know the name of the person the coffins were made for (and who presumably was buried in themno sign of the mummy yet, unfortunately). So perhaps we could use his name followed by the Fiction tag.   Currently were using Egyptology--United States--Fiction.

Any suggestions welcome!

Lu Harper

Librarian/Webmaster

Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester

http://mag.rochester.edu

http://magart.rochester.edu (collections website)

585.276.8997

Fashioning Kimono: Art Deco and Modernism in Japan
January 31
April 4, 2010

in the Grand Gallery

Rembrandt. Master Etchings from the

Collection of Tobia and Dr. Morton Mower

February 26th to May 23rd, 2010

in the Lockhart Gallery

Visit mag.rochester.edu for more information.