few things can be noted:

l.  Many of the journals are from the subject areas of psychology,
sociology, history, literature, in other words, interdisciplinary, a
reason why I frequently add Francis to a combined search of the art
databases Avery, BHA, ArtBibMod. A search for Van Gogh, obviously, brings
up all sorts of interesting articles, many from psychology/psychiatry
journals. Likewise, Rembrandt because of (!) his portraits!

2.  There are art journals in Francis.  As a guess, many of the journals
are French and a lot of them are the bulletins, etc., of French museums.

3.  When you do a journal name search and apply the limiters "most
current" and "oldest," you get such results as Gazette des Beaux-Arts
1982-1994, Journal of the Walters Art Gallery 1982-1986, Metropolitan
Museum of Art Bulletin, 1982-1985; Apollo 1983-1987 (652 records).
You can also do this using the Journal Name Index.

4.  American artists are not well represented.  John Singer Sargent = 0,
Georgia O'Keeffe = 4.

5.  When you open up the records for many of the citations from art
journals, you discover many of them (I can't check all!) were "updated" on
or about 2005-12-15. I don't know what that means--added or added to?

My guess is if you subscribe to Francis use it when doing an art search,
but if you don't subscribe you are not really going to increase art
journal coverage with a subscription.

I agree with Jet, it would be helpful for someone at Francis' publisher to
supply a list of journals indexed and years of coverage.

Ruth S. Thomas
Archaeology, Art, Art History, Classics Bibliographer
Mugar Memorial Library
Boston University
771 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215