In relation to a broader study of artists' interventions in
libraries, I would be interested in the experiences of colleagues
with pranks in the library that seemed to have artistic motives.  I
am primarily seeking examples where permission was not obtained from
the library.  Please indicate if pictures or other documents are
available.  To clarify my request, here are a couple of examples from
my own experience:
A small number of blackened books were discovered inter-filed with
arts books at several locations in the Carnegie Mellon University
Libraries.  Each was a paperback, not from the library collection,
which had apparently been soaked in black ink and dried. These
resembled charred books.  Seemed artistic because of the alarming
visual impact and strong associations.  No pictures or
documentation.  This occurred in the 1990s.
Small cards are occasionally found in books in Pattee Library at Penn
State University.  Each contains a brief statement related to
questioning or seeking.  All are on the same manila card stock and
printed in the same upper case type.   I have saved one example: "If
no one will show you what you are looking for, look somewhere else."
Respond on or off list as you prefer.  (I usually prefer off-list,
but perhaps you have an example that will brighten everyone's day.)

Thank you,

Henry Pisciotta
Arts and Architecture Librarian
Penn State University

BTW:  I have plenty of information on the following well-documented
examples, but would nonetheless be interested in communicating with
people who had direct experience with these events:
    * John Latham, Art and Culture, 1966-9. (St. Martin's School of
Art, London)
    * Temporary Services, Library Project, 2001. (Harold Washington
Library, Chicago)
    * Kathy Slade, 52 Transactions, 2006-7. (Vancouver Public Library)