I am posting this proposal (see below) on behalf of Karin Whalen, Visual Resources Librarian, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.  If you would be interested in attending this metadata workshop could you let me know by Monday, January 18th?  Karin would like to have some idea of interest before pursuing the workshop.

Thanks!
Paula

******

I would like to put together a metadata workshop for next spring for the Pacific Rim Chapter of the Visual Resources Association and the ARLIS/NA Northwest Region in conjunction with the Portland Art Museum.  I have asked the VRA Education Committee for some funding to help with bringing Murtha Baca, Head, Standards Program, Getty Research Institute, to Portland for Cataloging Cultural Objects and database training.  VRA is willing to provide some financial support but would expect each of us to also contribute either through registration or chapter support.

With higher conference costs and reduced travel budgets this is a wonderful opportunity for regional chapters to collaborate with other organizations and we would be a one of the first to implement this program.

Here is a draft of Murtha's proposal:

"Interested in learning about standards for cataloging cultural works and images, or improving and enhancing your techniques for creating descriptive metadata? Join us for a workshop on “CCO for Museums and Visual Resources Collections.”

CCO (Cataloging Cultural Objects) is descriptive standard designed specifically for the cultural heritage and visual resources communities.  If you are new to data standards and controlled vocabularies, or if you would like to brush up on your understanding of how they interoperate, this workshop is for you. Also addressed will be the fundamental issue of optimizing collection metadata so that users can find materials via Google and other commercial search engines.

In the context of real cataloging issues, this workshop will address the basic decision-making that surrounds: data structures and data values; describing works and images; display values vs. indexing values.  It is our goal that this be an interesting and interactive workshop.  This is a full-day training session with time for breakout group discussions, exercises, and questions.  Attendees are encouraged to
bring their own cataloging questions with sample images to the workshop."

Please provide some discussion on this idea as I don't want to propose something that none of our two chapter members would attend.  Murtha is available to come to Portland next spring and has suggested May.  We would also want to include archivist in the northwest area.

Best regards,
Karin

Karin S. Whalen
Visual Resources Librarian
Reed College
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.
Portland,  OR 97202
Phone:  503-517-7409
Fax:  503-777-7769
email:  [log in to unmask]

--
Paula Farrar
Librarian, Art + Architecture + Planning, UBC Library

Phone: (604) 822-4474
email: [log in to unmask]