Dear all:

I have been wondering for some time about the overlap between various printed subsets of Grove Encyclopedia and Oxford Art Online. Please see below for clarification from Amber Fischer, Senior editor at OUP, who gave me permission to post this to the list.

Best,

Heidi

--
V. Heidi Hass
ARLIS/NA Secretary

TEL: 212 590-0381
FAX: 212-768-5681
NET: [log in to unmask]

Visit CORSAIR, the Museum's comprehensive collections catalog, on the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> "Fischer, Amber" <[log in to unmask]> 1/8/2010 4:15 PM >>>
Dear Dr. Hass,It is partially correct. All of the newly written content for all the spin-offs is in Grove Art Online now (Oxford Art Online is only the portal, so you may continue to call it GAO if you wish!). The content that was revised takes longer to get online, since editorial decisions must be made about each article regarding how to incorporate the changes (for example, we cannot simply add the "coins" article from Northern Renaissance, since the "coins" article in GAO is much more elaborate than the one in the Northern Renaissance volume). Unfortunately, this means we must undertake the time-consuming task of going through every article and identifing the new material and then incorporate it into the online article. This is likely more information than you needed, but I just wanted to give some explanation as to why we have not published all the content online concurrent with the print. The vast majority of Decorative Arts and Materials and Techniques in Art are online. We spent most of this last summer undertaking a massive effort to get the rest of Classical Art & Architecture and Islamic Art & Architecture online. These will be complete by this spring/summer. Northern Renaissance will take a little longer, as we have just begun the editorial effort. Going forward, we are actually publishing content from the forthcoming American art and Medieval art spin-offs online before the books are published, so the addition of this content will be much more timely and concurrent with the print. Please let me know any time if you have further questions about Grove or the spin-off program.All the best,Amber
Amber Fischer
Senior Editor
Grove Music/Oxford Music Online
Grove Art/Oxford Art Online
Oxford University Press, Inc. | 198 Madison Avenue | New York, NY 10016-4314