Dear Members,
I hope that you all had wonderful restful holidays, and are now coping
with whatever winter happens to bring your way – in the northeast that
happens to be lots of COLD air. But thoughts of the upcoming baseball
season (the countdown for pitchers and catchers reporting to spring
training has begun) and Boston in April will help us make it through.

I hope that you have all had a chance to peruse the preliminary program
for the Boston conference. There seems to be something for everyone –
thought-provoking sessions, timely workshops, and tours galore. Boston
is a top rate city, offering a huge variety of restaurants, bars,
museums, and an easy to navigate public transportation system. I truly
believe this is going to be one of our best events yet!

When making your plans for Boston, please do your best to arrange to
stay in the conference hotel. You will benefit – the conference events
will all be at your doorstep, you’ll have lots of opportunities to
network and meet up with new and old friends, and it’s a really lovely
hotel. And ARLIS/NA will benefit; as you may know, ARLIS conference
contracts have been signed with hotels years in advance. These contracts
include a specified number of “room nights” which we have to fill. If we
fall short, we pay a significant amount of money in penalty. Given the
current economy our organization, like many others, is suffering
short-falls. It is possible that ARLIS/NA may not be able to afford to
do annual conferences if we end up too far in the red. So please, do
what you can. Our hotel contract also holds us to spending a certain
amount in food and beverages; because of this we will be offering
several meals and lots of coffee breaks at the conference location, and
all included in the price of conference registration!

And in that vein, RENEW! Yes, it’s membership renewal time again. Forms
are available on-line; any questions or problems, contact TEI at

Many of you may be wondering what has been going on with our new
management company, TEI, Inc. They have accomplished much on our behalf.
First, as you will see when you renew your membership, we are no longer
in the grips of MemberClicks. All of our membership data has been
migrated to the TEI membership system. It is offering a greater ease of
use, and easy access to important information. Second, the ARLIS/NA
website, along with several chapter websites, has also been migrated
over to TEI. This means that the maintenance of these sites is now
centrally managed. Our conference web site is also being hosted by TEI.
Another new feature we now have is our first ever prospects database.
This allows the hard working development committee to better manage the
process of looking for sponsors. And finally, due to the diligence of
Don McMurray, our ArtDoc ad revenues are way up!

Finally, please let me or any other board members know of any questions
or concerns you have regarding ARLIS/NA. We are your board, and we are
working for you.

Sincerely,
Amy Lucker

--