ARLIS Tours-Boston 2010

Welcome to Boston! We have something for everyone--so whether your interest is new art galleries or old Chinese houses, Italian food or contemporary architecture, we have something to tempt you to plan extra time in Boston.

First time to Boston? The Friday afternoon tour of Beacon Hill is essential but you might want to fuel yourself for this walking tour of Federal-style architecture with a morning food tour of the North End<http://www.northendmarkettours.com/html/markettours/markettours.html>!

Contemporary art? We have it covered, with a special all day tour out to Williamstown, home of  MassMOCA, <http://www.massmoca.org/>  the Clark Art Institute<http://www.clarkart.edu/> (with a lovely new addition by Tadao Ando), and, in a nod to the past, a visit to Edith Wharton's summer house<http://www.edithwharton.org/> to see how the other half lived and gardened.

Want to explore the new art scene in Boston? Join us Thursday afternoon as we adventure by subway to visit galleries in the South End, starting at the Boston Sculptors Gallery<http://bostonsculptors.com/> and ending with a glass of wine at the Ars Libri <http://www.arslibri.com/> shop on Harrison Avenue.

Cemeteries and landscapes? We will show you the nation's first landscaped cemetery (Mt. Auburn<http://www.mountauburn.org/>), the work and office of Frederick Law Olmsted<http://www.nps.gov/frla/index.htm>, the nation's first landscape architect and premier designer of Boston's Emerald necklace as well as the newly completed parks of the Rose Kennedy Greenway<http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/>.

As for architecture, we have options for everyone. In addition to the Beacon Hill Tour, beginning and ending with buildings designed by Charles Bulfinch<http://www.historicnewengland.org/visit/homes/otis.htm>, we have a day-long trip to Salem to visit the historic buildings and collections of New England's oldest museum, the Peabody Essex<http://www.pem.org/>, as well as the Salem Maritime National Historic Site.  For residential architecture, there is an afternoon visit to the rural suburbs west of Boston to see the iconic Walter Gropius house<http://www.historicnewengland.org/visit/homes/gropius.htm>, a modernist masterpiece.

New this year are offerings for Monday dubbed hybrid tours. These offerings will combine tours with sessions held at local venues. Sessions will be held at Harvard, MIT, the Massachusetts College of Art and Design, and a special trip to Providence for an artists' book slam at RISD. Stay tuned for more details!

In addition to our organized tours we will have a table full of suggestions for ways to spend a few hours out in the city, so as Dave Loggins wrote in his song, "please come to Boston in the springtime"!