For those art librarians who may also cover music and want to come to
San Diego for MLA!

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of McTyre, Ruthann B
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MLA-L] Annual meeting registration fees update

Great News!  The deadline for early bird registration for the annual
meeting has been extended right up until the meeting begins in San
Diego.  Late fees will not be charged until the registration desk is
open for business at the hotel.

The facts are these:

The contract for this meeting hotel was signed in 2006 and this hotel
was the best, available location for MLA's potential room block and
meeting space needs.  Not to negotiate a contract with Paradise Point
would have meant we could not accept the Southern California Chapter's
invitation to meet in San Diego.

The recession has blasted all of us, both personally and at the
institutional level.  Reduced or non-existent travel funding is taking
its toll.

It doesn't look like we will meet our room block commitment which means
the meeting will cost MLA more money.  The more private rooms at
Paradise Point that we fill, the more public meeting and exhibit spaces
we don't pay for. That is why it is always important to stay at the
conference hotel if at all possible.  Right now, there are 308
registrants.  We had based the meeting contract on a conservative
estimate (from our 2006 perspective) of 450 attendees.

Each year, the Convention Budget is planned to pay only for itself.
This is not an income generating event but rather, it is a service to
the membership. This isn't going to happen for this meeting. However,
the board is prepared and more than willing to deal with the extra
expense in order to make sure that there is a content-driven,
professionally and personally beneficial conference offered for our
membership. It is the kind of outreach that recharges our collective
battery and  sends us home renewed and reinvigorated.

So please, take another look at the amazing program that Diane Steinhaus
and her committee have put together for us. If you haven't registered
yet and thought it was too late to do so at the current rate, well, it
isn't.  I know that travel to this meeting for some will just not be
possible this year and believe me, we will miss you. For those still on
the fence, I hope this extension for registration will provide incentive
to make the decision to come to the meeting in San Diego.

I'm happy to answer questions from anyone and our T/Ex Michael Rogan
also welcomes any questions regarding the convention budget and planning
process.  Feel free to contact either one of us.

Thanks everyone,

Ruthann

Ruthann B. McTyre, Head
Rita Benton Music Library

President, Music Library Association

Room 5033
100 Main Library
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242
319.335.3088

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

To leave MLA-L, send the command SIGNOFF MLA-L to
[log in to unmask] or send email to
[log in to unmask] To suspend receipt temporarily, send
the command SET MLA-L NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] MLA-L
archives: <https://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/mla-l.html>. Music
Library Association homepage: <http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org>.