Hello ARLIS,

Thank you to those who have already supported this cause! As the Booklyn
Decade Capital Campaign gets closer to its deadline, they only need less
than $1000 to meet their goal. Please consider a small donation for this
amazing artist books alliance.

Happy New Year!

Sincerely,

Amber M. Billey, MLIS Pratt Institute 2009
Booklyn Board Member

===========================

Dear Friends,

On December 1st, 1999, Marshall Weber and I walked into the Brooklyn County
Courthouse and officially registered Booklyn as a company. We'd already been
operating as a loose alliance of artist-bookmakers for a couple years,
meeting every Tuesday night in Christopher Wilde and Mark Wagner's loft in
Brooklyn. It was an exciting time. And while we had big dreams, we were
never really sure what was in store for the organization.

Well, ten years later, we've put thousands of books made by hundreds of
artists into the permanent collections of the best institutions around the
world. We have literally sold millions of dollars worth of books, most of
which has gone straight to the artists who made those books. We have curated
shows, served on panels, taught classes (from elementary to graduate level),
lectured, published books, subsidized studio space for artists, and brought
the world of artists books to thousands in the general public. Some of us
still meet on Tuesday nights, to make art and talk about the world of book
art. We are still engaged, still striving to bring the best art to the
public.

If you're reading this email, it's because we see you as an important ally
in helping to keep Booklyn alive and well. Fundraising has never been our
strongest attribute. But fundraising from individuals is an important part
of paying for basic operating expenses in a non-profit organization. The
economic downturn has affected Booklyn, and we are looking for ways to move
forward into the next decade as a more mature organization.

In the coming years, we hope to institute more education and and publishing
programs. So we are currently trying to organize the Booklyn Decade - our
archive of invaluable material spanning the last 10 years. It occupies over
35 cubic feet of space (and still growing), and is being organized and
databased by a team of librarians/archivists. We plan to sell this archive
next year to support the organization's programing. In addition, we have
much more in our offices that we want to sell of to you, right now, to help
the process along. Using the
kickstarter.com<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1053023774/booklyn-artist-alliance-the-next-decade>
website,
we set a goal of $10,000, because that's about what it costs to keep the
doors open each month. Using this website was a gamble, because we have to
raise the entire goal by our deadline to receive even a single penny, so
we're counting on our supporters. On Facebook <http://facebook.com/Booklyn>,
we have over 700 fans. On our email list, we have over 2000 addresses. So if
each one of you can contribute even a few dollars, it would make a HUGE
difference. We've already met over 20% of our goal, but we need the next
wave of pledges.

While you can pledge without receiving an award, through the
kickstarter.com<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1053023774/booklyn-artist-alliance-the-next-decade>
website,
you can also request awards for your pledge - items from our inventory. Many
of these items can be had right now for less than what we typically sell
them for on our retail website.

Kickstarter campaign<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1053023774/booklyn-artist-alliance-the-next-decade>
http://www.kickstarter
.com/projects/1053023774/booklyn-artist-alliance-the-next-decade

To make a 2009 tax-deduction outside the Kickstart, go
here<http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1930>
http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1930

Thank you for your support,

Kurt Allerslev, Marshall Weber