the message below from Beverly Mitchell  reminded me to post the sad message I received last week:

Dear readers, friends, and advertisers of artonpaper magazine,

Forty years after the founding of the Print Collectors Newsletter, our predecessor, it is with great sadness that we announce the temporary closure of artonpaper magazine.

Emotionally, this has been very hard for us. We know, for instance, that the magazine's absence will leave an important segment of the art world - namely, publishers of limited editions prints, multiples, and artists' books - unattended at a difficult time. Nevertheless, all of our efforts to ride out the recession (reducing the magazine's size and thereby cutting our printing costs in half, laying off staff, creating other revenue streams) have proved inadequate in compensating for the 65% drop in advertising revenue we experienced over the past year and a half.

We want you to know that we did not go gently. In addition to making drastic changes to our daily operations, and exploring a variety of long-term strategic options, we also spent six months looking for new financing, possibly even a new owner. We set January 15, 2010 as a final deadline. When that date arrived without an investment, we had to close shop.

It is certainly our hope that six to twelve months from now, when the economy has improved, someone new will come along and revive the publication, either in print or digital form. In the meantime, if you are a subscriber, please email [log in to unmask] for an auto-response on what this means for your subscription and what efforts we are making on your behalf.

We know that this comes as bad news to many, and we want to thank all of you who have been so supportive of artonpaper over many years. Your encouragement has meant the world to us, and it was because of you that we remained in publication as long as we did.

Sincerely,

Shelly Bancroft and Peter Nesbett
Co-Publishers, artonpaper magazine

"Mitchell, Beverly" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>

01/26/2010 12:09 PM
Please respond to
"Mitchell, Beverly" <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
[ARLIS-L] Need missing issue: Art on Paper

I am in need of the Jan./Feb. 2009 issue of the journal Art on Paper.  Does anyone have an extra copy?

Thank you!

Beverly Mitchell

Art and Dance Librarian
Hamon Arts Library
Southern Methodist University

Susan E. Thomas
Evening/Weekend Librarian, Assistant Professor
Borough of Manhattan Community College/CUNY
199 Chambers St., S-434
New York, New York 10007
212.220.8000 x7112 (p)
212.748.7466 (f)