Last thought,

In my own defence, the 'business' of any organization is not necessarily counted in dollars. It is a directive (political business) in most schools that they support their students (I'm not saying all schools do it well). I wasn't suggesting there is anything wrong with professional artists or supporting classes. Also, librarians can be professional artists inspite of opting for an MLS. I am not suggesting we become less professional in our selection of designs! Juried shows, selection committees for public art or museum acquisition...the gallery system..yikes.
--Kathy
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Trudy Jacoby
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] art doc cover

I don’t think Jenny was being difficult.  This was very well said and I would second the idea of having a professional design the cover.  This is our professional publication, possibly the ONLY thing many people see of us.  Wasn’t there a time when we were thinking about the “branding” of ARLIS/NA and bringing some coordination to our publications-print and electronic?

Trudy Jacoby
Director, Visual Resources Collection
Department of Art and Archaeology
Princeton University