Greetings all -

I am doing research on a collection development problem I have and am looking for any existing models which I might review, adapt, and apply to the Herron library collection.  I have been asked to provide a baseline dollar amount for materials purchase which would be needed to support new programs across academic levels and disciplines (Ph.D, Masters, Undergrad).

The purpose of this research is to develop a ‘formula’ of sorts, that provides those faculty proposing a new academic program as well as the campus administration approving and allocating dollars for programs, with a dollar amount that can be written into in any new academic program proposals in order to ensure the library has appropriate level of dollars/resources needed to support that new program should it be approved.  I have preliminarily broken the problem down by academic levels (PhD, Masters, Undergrad) and then into dollar amounts needed for new serials, e-resources/databases, and monographs, and support staff.  Has anyone created a similar formula for estimating the cost to adding new materials to support new programs?  I need to provide a dollar amount for the new Herron/IUPUI Art Therapy program at the masters level - which also crosses disciplines - so issues of shared costs/resources across the campus academic units/disciplines exist as well.

The other piece of this issue concerns the issue of how to identify those necessary resources particularly when they are outside of one’s discipline of expertise. I welcome your feedback as well as any references to existing prominent Art Therapy programs at the masters level.

Thanks in advance.

Sonja

Sonja Staum

Director,