The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is evaluating retention standards of our Exhibition files. We would like to set standard guidelines for what should be retained in the files (sometimes we retain too much information). We also have information scattered among different departments (Public Relations, Education, Curatorial, Registration, and the Museum Archives).

We would like to hear from other museums who have attempted/accomplished this.
What do you keep?
How/where do you keep it?

One of our volunteers helping us with this project (an art librarian and fellow ARLISer) suggested we throw this out to the collective wisdom rather than "reinvent the wheel". What a great idea!

If you are not the one in your museum who manages these files, would you please forward this inquiry to the right individual?

Thank you!

Heather Brodhead
Librarian
Constance & George Fearing Library
Santa Barbara Museum of Art                www.sbma.net
1130 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(805) 884-6451

Library is open to the public Tues., Wed, Thu. 1-5 PM;
  Librarian's hours 10-noon; 1-5:30 on those days.