From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kelly M. Fiske
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Worldwide Books launches new Web site

NEWS RELEASE

Worldwide Books is pleased to announce the launch of its newly formatted and expanded Web site. Our new site uses the same URL as our former site ( www.worldwide-artbooks.com<http://www.worldwide-artbooks.com/>), so librarians who have bookmarked our site will be directed automatically to the new site.

As before, Worldwide's Web site permanently retains records for every title that has been selected for inclusion in our approval plan program since the company's founding in 1962, making it an invaluable research tool for librarians, art historians, curators and students. The site currently encompasses records for more than 90,000 titles, including hundreds of forthcoming titles scheduled to be released in spring 2010. More than 28,000 backlist and frontlist titles are currently in stock and available for immediate purchase, including many exhibition catalogues from the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s that are essentially out of print and would be difficult to obtain elsewhere. To facilitate purchasing, searches can easily be structured to omit out-of-print and out-of-stock titles from search results.

A Fresh New Look and Enhanced Search Options

The Basic Search option, formerly a separate search screen, is now incorporated into our home page as a "Quick Search." This simple search tool is convenient for users wishing to locate a specific title based on title keywords, artist, author or ISBN.

The powerful new Advanced Search screen (an upgrade to our former site's Extended Search screen) includes several new features that will make it even more useful to librarians interested in efficiently searching or filtering our monthly list of new titles--or our entire database--to locate titles on specific topics or themes:

As before, in addition to allowing filtered searches based on the content of each publication as catalogued by Worldwide's staff (including artistic medium, historical period, region and country represented, artist, topic and style), searches can also be filtered based on date of publication, first venue (for exhibition catalogues), publisher, distributor and/or series title. Some useful new features of the Advanced Search screen include:

Type-of-Publication Filter: Towards the bottom of the Advanced Search screen is a new filter that allows users to either omit or include certain types of publications from search results (trade titles; university press publications; catalogues published exclusively by museums and galleries; etc.).

Special Series Search Option: Although serial publications can often be successfully located by searching for the series title in the "First Exhibitor/Publisher/Organizer/Series Title" field, a new feature on our Web site offers a special pull-down menu that lists dozens of important biennials, triennials and other types of special serial publications. This pull-down menu facilitates retrieving titles associated with a specific recurring exhibition or series, even if the publisher has not been bibliographically consistent in their citation of the series title from one publication to another.

Other New Features

Exact-Phrase and Partial-String Search Options in Addition to Our Traditional Keyword Searches:

In addition to exact keyword searches, users now can also conduct exact-phrase searches (using quotation marks around a specific phrase) or partial-string searches (using an asterisk to represent any number of miscellaneous alphanumeric characters):

Example: "Museum of Modern Art"
(exact-phrase search that could be used in the Title Field or the Exhibitor/Publisher/Organizer/Series field)

Example: Abstract*
(partial-string search to find all titles that include such words as Abstract, Abstracted, Abstraction, Abstracting, etc.)

Multiple Item or ISBN Searches / Results Can Be Downloaded in Spreadsheet Format

A new, separate search screen now allows users to search multiple ISBNs or multiple Worldwide item numbers simultaneously. The records retrieved using this option are displayed in spreadsheet format (in alphabetical order) for the benefit of users who may wish to copy and paste the bibliographic information into their own spreadsheet for further manipulation or sorting, or in order to check the records electronically against their holdings. Note: the Advanced Search screen also now allows for multiple ISBNs to be searched simultaneously; however, when using the Advanced Search screen for that purpose, the results are displayed in our standard bibliographic format rather than in spreadsheet format.

Expanded Online Information on Worldwide's Services

The Web site now provides more complete information on our Approval Plan programs, including an overview of the program, annual cost estimates for our standard plans, and a selection-profile worksheet to assist librarians who may be interested in establishing a new approval plan.

A new online submission form provides a convenient means for museums and other publishers to send us timely information on new titles they have published that might be appropriate for Worldwide to include in its listings and approval-plan program.
____________________________

In the coming months we plan to expand the site even further and will eventually offer a customer interface that will enable clients to review their order history and account information online, and to identify forthcoming titles that are scheduled to be included in their upcoming approval-plan shipments. In the meantime, we welcome inquiries from anyone who has questions about the new site, or would like additional guidance in using the search features. We would be more than happy to offer one-on-one assistance by phone or by email.

Sincerely,

Kelly Fiske

Mr. Kelly M. Fiske, President
Worldwide Books