Dear ARLIS Members,

The Asian American Arts Centre in New York is holding an opening reception
tonight (Sept. 18, 6-9pm) for the exhibition "Out of the Archive: Process
and Progress" and the exhibition continues until Oct. 30th.

The exhibition catalogue accompanying the exhibition is an important piece
in the puzzle of Asian American Art History. We have commissioned 4 writers
to examine the "process and progress" of the 4 artists participating in the
exhibition. It is not a traditional gallery catalogue, it is primarily a
vehicle for these writer's essays. The exhibition is beautiful and will be
an online exhibition soon, however if you are in New York or close, please
come to the opening reception! Also, please note that there is a panel
discussion that will be held on Oct. 7th. Please scroll down to see the
press release for the show.

Also, please check out our recently launched, and growing digital archive,
artasiamerica.org. Please let your colleagues and faculty know of this
important new resource!

The exhibition catalogue is $15. I hope that you will contact us for more
information.

Best regards, and sorry for such short notice about the reception~
Sara Henderson

Asian American Arts Centre was founded in 1974 in New York City to address
the distinctive concerns of Asian Americans in the United States. Its
mission is to promote the preservation and creative vitality of Asian
American cultural growth through the arts, and its historical and aesthetic
linkage to other communities. The Arts Centre accomplishes this by
presenting and interpreting the ongoing synthesis of contemporary American
and Asian art forms, utilizing performance, exhibition, and public
education.

__
Sara Henderson
Assoc. Archivist
Asian American Arts Centre
26 Bowery, 3rd floor
New York, NY  10013
212.233.2154
www.artspiral.org
www.artasiamerica.org

     Email not displaying correctly? View it in your
browser.<http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=f506ef4e8f0eabcdb9901cc01&id=e4369b965c&e=>
    *For Immediate Release*

Date: August 23, 2009*
*
Contact:*  *Robert Lee
(212) 233 2154 / (917) 923-8118
www.artspiral.org

*<http://www.artasiamerica.org?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
*

*Out of the Archive:

Process & Progress*

Artists: Tomie Arai, Albert Chong, John Yoyogi Fortes, Swati Khurana

September 18 to October 30, 2009   M - F 12:00 - 6:00pm, Sat 3:00 – 6:00 pm

Opening Reception: Friday September 18th 6:00pm - 9:00pm at AAAC 26 Bowery,
3rd Floor, NYC

Curated by Angel Velasco Shaw

Gallery Talk with Artists & Scholars at *White Box* 329 Broome St., NYC

on Wednesday October 7th 6 - 8pm

with Tomie Arai, John Yoyogi Fortes, Swati Khurana, Karen Su, Karlyn Koh,
Jan Christian Bernabe, Sarita Echavez See & Midori Yoshimoto
*
*

To commemorate the thirty-fifth year of mounting arts in a community
context, the Asian American Arts Centre (AAAC) presents “Out of the Archive:
Process and Progress,” a major exhibition program.  It aims to draw
attention to the AAAC Artists Archive and its recently launched digital
archive - artasiamerica.org.  This program includes a special exhibition
installation, a gallery talk, a catalogue, several essayists, and online
interactive events and opportunities for the audience. The digital archive,
a major undertaking over two years in the making, consists of about 10% of
the total 1,500 Asian American artists entries in the original archive,
which reflects the last 60 years and several generations of artistic
production.

The four artists presented, Tomie Arai, Albert Chong, John Yoyogi Fortes,
and Swati Khurana, have been selected from a review of all the artists
posted in artasiamerica.org by guest curator Angel Velasco Shaw. The printed
catalogue has been edited and coordinated by Sarita Echavez See who selected
four writers to participate with her in reviewing the artists' work: Karen
Su, Karlyn Koh, and Jan Christian Bernabe.

AAAC seeks to expand the ways in which it has presented Asian American art
in a community context. Expanding our approach to the literary arts, we are
introducing a critical writing component in order to draw upon literary and
cultural criticism for visual interpretive and critical thinking.

These essays shed light on these artists in a variety of ways such as: the
artists' relationship to the work that they exhibited at AAAC in the past;
the critique and contextualization of their current work; and the national
and international context for these artists' creative production. Moreover,
these essays launch an investigation into the shifting rhetorics of art
criticism and cultural criticism. By bringing forth new perspectives in the
context of the exhibition we aim to open up a critical dialogue that
generates an appreciation for these art works and a critical language for
substantively engaging with Asian American art.

In the era of globalization, the marketplace and the discourse associated
with international art events, the exploration of identity has come to be
seen as passé in many sectors of the art world.  Insisting anew on the
importance of visibility and recognition for Asian American artists, the
AAAC wants its archival resources to serve artists and audiences by
providing opportunities for continual interpretation and valuation of
diverse artists and their works.

In addition to the online essays, the exhibition will also be online with an
opportunity for online responses and comments by the audience. The Gallery
Talk event on Oct  7th will be broadcast live on artasiamerica from White
Box.

Artists:

   - "The pieces in this exhibition span a period of two decades, from the
   family narrative of “The Laundryman” who sojourns to America to the social
   themes of Asian American writers and filmmakers in “Motion Pictures”. Since
   those gritty days on the Lower East Side the exchange of stories that
   captivated me as a muralist still informs my art practice."  –Tomie Arai
   - "It is my intent to present photographs that exist in a form contrary
   to the normal conception of what a photograph is . . . This new
   configuration is my attempt to find a creative and visually dynamic solution
   to the premise of the exhibition, which is how these four artists from the
   archives have used processes in their work and how it has enabled the growth
   or progress of their work. What may be less evident in the trajectories of
   our work may be the issues of race and identity." –Albert Chong
   - "Art is an integral part of my life and has been since I was a young
   boy . . . Most of the images used in my current work come from the Internet
   . . . Although culture and identity aren't the focus for creating content or
   imagery in my work, it does creep in from time to time . . . If there’s been
   progress, it’s the transition to my current process of working more
   intuitively at the onset combining materials and imagery with no concern for
   content, liberating me from my older more restrictive process."  –John
   Yoyogi Fortes
   - "As an Indian immigrant woman, I explore through my work gender,
   ethnicity and the seductive promises of rituals. Revisiting my large,
   traditional Hindu wedding composes a large part of my artistic practice,
   through video, sculpture, collages and drawings . . . The documenting of
   weddings and other personal moments as necessary fictions makes up the
   narratives of our lives. I became increasingly invested in exploring South
   Asian female subjectivity in my work."  –Swati Khurana

Swati Khurana                             Albert Chong

Tomie Arai                                                   John Yoyogi
Fortes

Scholars:

   - Dr. Karen Su is director of the Asian American Resource and Cultural
   Center at U of Illinois at Chicago. She has a Ph.D. in English and has
   taught and helped to develop Asian American Studies at numerous campuses on
   both coasts and the Midwest.

   -  Dr. Karlyn Koh is associate professor of English and director of the
   Honors Program at LaGuardia Community College. Her current research includes
   a study of Asian North American avant-garde poetics and visual arts.

   - Dr. Jan Christian Bernabe is a Futures of Minority Studies postdoctoral
   fellow at U of Michigan. He is currently working on a book manuscript
   tentatively titled *Improbable Visions: Filipino Bodies, U.S. Empire, and
   the Visual Archives. *

   - Sarita Echavez See is associate professor of Asian/Pacific Islander
   American Studies at U of Michigan.  Her book *The Decolonized Eye:
   Filipino American Art and Performance* will be published this fall by U
   of Minnesota Press.

   - Dr. Midori Yoshimoto is associate professor of Art History and director
   of two galleries at New Jersey City U. Her book *Into Performance:
   Japanese Women Artists in New York, 1955-75* interweaves the art and
   lives of five artists.

*Curator:*

Angel Velasco Shaw is an educator, cultural activist, freelance curator, and
independent filmmaker. She spends her time between New York and the
Philippines. In 2008, she produced a series of cross-cultural exchange
projects with artists from Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore and the
United States set in the Philippines. In 2002, she co-edited the
anthology *Vestiges
of War: The Philippine-American War and the Aftermath of an Imperial Dream;
1899-1999* published by NYU Press.

Asian American Arts Centre, Inc. is supported, in part with public funds
from The New York State Council on the Arts, and The National Endowment for
the Arts, New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. With additional
funding and support from Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, 9.11 Fund,
Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, Manhattan Mini Storage/Edison Properties
Inc, the NYC Parks & Recreation’s public art program, Materials for the
Arts, NYC Department of Youth & Community Development and the Office of
Councilman Alan J. Gerson through CREATE in Chinatown, Inc, New York
Cosmopolitan Lions Club, Pearl River Mart, United Orient Bank, Dedalus
Foundation, Expedi Printing, Inc., Charles Yuen, Wing Tek Lum, Jody and John
Arnhold, Danny C.K. Li, Jeanne Lee Jackson, Linda Peng, Wing Lee Yee,
Mikyung Kim, Richard Kenny Esq,  John Yu, and the many generous friends of
the Asian American Arts Centre.

The Asian American Arts Centre is located in Lower Manhattan at 26 Bowery
(just below Canal Street, 3rd floor above McDonalds. Press bell #3.). It is
a short walk from the N, Q, J, M, Z, and 6 trains at Canal Street or the B
and D at Grand Street or the M103, M15, or M9 buses to Chatham Square.

The Asian American Arts Centre was established in 1974 as a not-for-profit
organization to address the distinctive concerns of Asian Americans in the
United States. The Artist Slide Archive of more than 1500 artists is open to
all visual artists residing in the United States and its trust territories,
who are of Asian ancestry as well as those artists who are significantly
influenced by Asia.  *Gallery Hours: *M-F 12:30PM - 6:30PM, Sat 3:00PM -
6:00PM

*Contact:* Phone: 212.233.2154/917.923.8118

FAX: 1.360.283.2154 | Email: [log in to unmask]

*Events & Exhibitions are free. Donations accepted.**
*<http://www.artspiral.org/membership.html?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
* *<http://www.artspiral.org/membership.html?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
Check Out Our Photo Album on
Flickr!<http://www.flickr.com/photos/asianamericanartscentre?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
*
*<http://www.artspiral.org/membership.html?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
ARTSPIRAL<http://www.artspiral.org/new.html?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
* | *ARTASIAMERICA <http://www.artasiamerica.org/>* |*
DONATE<http://www.artspiral.org/membership.html?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
*
*
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Asian-American-Arts-Centre/28942631334?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
<http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=402486396&utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
<http://artspiral.blogspot.com?utm_source=abahrin%40artspiral.org&utm_campaign=e4369b965c-Asian_American_Arts_Centre_Process%2BProgress&utm_medium=email>
*
*
     Unsubscribe <http://caiman.el.net/mailman/listinfo/aaac> | Forward to a
Friend<http://us1.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=f506ef4e8f0eabcdb9901cc01&id=e4369b965c&e=>
Asian American Arts Centre | 26 Bowery 3rd Flr. | New York | NY | 10013-5159
 [image: Email Marketing Powered by
MailChimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/affiliates/?aid=f506ef4e8f0eabcdb9901cc01&afl=1>