npr.org
From: "Alan J.  Talbert"
<[log in to unmask]>Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 00:45:29  -0400
To: Sligo Park Hills  News<[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [SligoParkHillsNews] The  Fairy  Castle
About  50 years ago I bought a print of a painting by Paul Klee.  It was
titled  "The Fairy Castle".  Later, I lost the print.  About 8 years ago I
started searching for a new print. Google found nothing by Klee under that
title, and it did not find the image I remember.  I have spent countless
hours going through online print collections, looking for the image.  The  Paul
Klee Institute has told me that Klee never made a painting under that title
in any language.  I have looked at every image in the Paul Klee Catalogue
Raisonne...more than 9,000 of them.  I am now going through the Catalogue
again, more carefully, making a list of castle works without pictures in the
Catalogue.
Here is my  description of the painting, after about 45 years:  It is a
Romanesque  castle, possibly in a desert.  The scene is dramatic, with a dark
cloud  overhead.  At the same time it is fanciful, with flags blowing in
opposite  directions, and perhaps somewhat childlike in conception.  It is not
abstract, as are Klee's 'Castle and Sun' and 'Castle on the Reef'.  It is
representational, yet somewhat cartoonish.
Any  information about the painting or a source for another print would be
most  welcome.  Where is the original, and what is it called?  Tips on
searching would also be very helpful.  What I am really hoping for is that
somebody else bought the print when it was available and is willing to  sell it
now.  I would pay well.  I do love this  painting.
Thank you  for your interest.
Alan  Talbert
Sligo Hills,
Silver  Spring, MD