Hi,
Even here at the Borough of Manhattan Community College/City University of
New York, we keep the dust jackets on the books and cover them with
plastic. I say "even here" because we are not an art library.  I would be
really disappointed if we had to remove the dust jackets; I think they
really increase the circulation of our book collection.  Patrons are more
likely to just browse and check books out, and not necessarily to complete
 an assignment.  Keeping jackets=one of the strengths of the bookstore
model of librarianship.

Best wishes,
Susan E. Thomas
Assistant Professor
Evening/Weekend Librarian
Borough of Manhattan Community College/CUNY
199 Chambers St., S-434
New York, New York 10007
212.220.8000 x7112 (p)
212.748.7466 (f)

http://lib1.bmcc.cuny.edu (BMCC Library)
http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu (BMCC)
http://portal.cuny.edu (CUNY)

Moira Steven <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
09/02/2009 03:27 PM
Please respond to
Moira Steven <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [ARLIS-L] Book jackets

We use our dust jackets as they were intended: on the book.  We use covers
to keep them nice.  I've found that books with covers get circulated more,
especially among art students, as they covers attract they eye where a
plain black cloth cover does not.

In Atlanta, I used them to advertise our acquisitions.  I used two
bulletin boards in the halls and printed out duplicate spine labels to put
on the covers. I only chose great covers - got to keep that visual
interest going!  We seemed to get a lot of students - and faculty too -
coming into the library with a call number scribbled on a bit of paper or
on their hands looking for the book that used to have the "cool" cover.

Best,
Moira
Moira Steven, Library Director
Joanne Waxman Library @ Maine College of Art
522 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
207-775-5153 (general)/207-699-5090 (direct line)/207-775-5087 (fax)

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.”  - Leonardo da Vinci