Unfortunately, Hollywood types hardly ever part with their money for art related philathropy.

Lynda Bunting

--- On Wed, 8/26/09, Stephanie Sueppel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Stephanie Sueppel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] FW: depredations to art history teaching and research at UCLA
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 2:21 PM

Hello Ray Anne:

I believe making suggestions to the Administration at UCLA is the most important thing one can do in protest.  In a sense, you change the discussion from us vs. them and you bring them into...we feel your pain but our scholarship can't afford to feel this kind of pain.

The only backlash from this is when they suggest selling part of the collection to keep it open.  Are there local ARLIS chapters with BIG connections with any Hollywood types who can walk in and lay down some cash? Someone needs to ask the admin how much $$$ will it take for you to keep the doors open?

Ask the admin, what are your objectives? and then find solutions-

commit to a completely paperless library
find someone who can install solar panels that would contribute to the energy grid
ask for the library to receive cleaning service once a week or month
reduced hours
find volunteers to do as much as possible without violating union contracts
sell prints from the website
alumni???

Believe me every university and/or college in the country will be keeping track because other art libraries at other institutions are not far behind.

.02,

Stephanie Sueppel
Library Director
Sigourney Public Library
still adding my thoughts old school on ARLIS/NA listserv