From: Consortium of Art and Architectural Historians [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Max Koss
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Message from the Director of The Courtauld

Good (and some bad) news from the Courtauld Institute of Art.

Best,
Max

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Catalano, Janine" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: August 25, 2009 11:34:17 AM CDT

Sent on behalf of Professor Deborah Swallow:
I am writing with an important update on the opening times and service provided by the Witt and Conway Libraries.  The Courtauld is pleased to confirm that the Witt and Conway Libraries will remain open to the public five days a week and the Photographic Survey collections will continue to be accessible by appointment, contrary to concerns recently expressed by some members of the art community.  Please see the attached notice for further details.
As you may be aware, The Courtauld, like other higher education institutions worldwide, has had to review all its operational activities and services in the light of the current economic climate. Those activities that are critical to its higher education function must be provided in the most cost-effective way, and those areas with a negative budget impact managed efficiently and the net cost minimized.  It is with sincere regret that, as a result, 6 posts (5.1 FTE) in the Witt and Conway Libraries and Photographic Survey will become redundant from 4 September 2009 and the management structure of these libraries will change.
The Witt and Conway Libraries are unique visual resources for the serious study of art history. They are regarded by The Courtauld as an important dimension of its work as a teaching and research institute and as a valuable asset for students, scholars and researchers.  By instigating these changes, and by working together with our supporters and the wider art community, we intend to ensure that these valuable resources will not only be efficiently managed but will also remain available for generations to come.
I would be grateful if you could note the forthcoming temporary closure period for the Witt and Conway libraries which will be closed from 7 September and will reopen on 2 November - as well as the adjusted opening times once it reopens of 11am to 4pm (subject to the usual Bank Holidays).
Professor Deborah Swallow
Märit Rausing Director