As you develop your sentence about the value of art (or any other kind) of librarians, you might want to refer back to some of what Steven Bell wrote in his article on “Design Thinking” in American Libraries (Jan/Feb. 2008).  He reminds us that: “as a profession we need to move beyond thinking of our primary product as just a commodity to which we offer access” and that to create library users that are passionate about the library you have to create better library user experiences.  And then he discusses how design thinking can help us in this regard.

I would argue that librarians and other library personnel are a core part of what creates great experiences for our users and therefore play an important role in helping our organizations achieve success.

Have a great Fourth of July!

Best,

Janine Henri

Architecture, Design, and Digital Services Librarian

UCLA Arts Library

1400 Public Affairs Building

Box 951392

Los Angeles, CA 90095-1392