Dear ARLIS,

The present precarious nature employment for arts librarians and VR professionals right now is of utmost importance and we should address it.  Here at UVA and on the SAHARA project,  we have been discussing the value of collaborative ventures both inside and outside of the University as a venue for "adding value" and thus justifying and ultimately sustaining a librarian's position in these difficult times.

I have submitted a proposal for Boston 2010 on just such a topic, looking at my participation in the SAHARA digital project as an added value project for UVA and how we might sustain our  digital image initiatives and our libraries and jobs with such long-range collaboration.  In other words, this is for me at the heart of a very scary retention problem right now.

I would love to join with other colleagues to offer similar ideas for bolstering the retention of VR specialized librarians and professionals in these dangerous times.  It would make a good session for an ARLIS conference.

Thanks,

lucie

Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Head, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library