Hi Everyone,

I have a request.  My email yesterday seems to have hit a nerve.  There are quite a few of us who are interested in the topic of unemployment and reduced hours in these difficult tomes.

I thought it might be useful to have a statement from ARLIS/NA discussing the value of art libraries and librarianns to adapt and use for our own personal situations.  I  emailed Marc Gartler who is on the Public Policy Committee of our group and asked him if ARLIS has a statement of this kind.   He told me that he doesn't believe that there is one, and suggested I develop one for consideration.

So, do you have a sentence or two that to you sums up the value that art librarians and libraries bring to their larger institutions?  What do you feel makes you an essential (rather than a non-essential) part of your parent organization?

I will put together a statement incorporating ideas, and perhaps the Public Policy
Committee will approve it.

You can reply either to the list, or to me personally - I think this is a topic that we need to keep talking about!

Sheila A. Cork
Librarian
New Orleans Museum of Art
City Park