Hi:
I think this is the classic work on building libraries:

	Planning academic and research library buildings
 	Author: 	Leighton, Philip D.
 	Format: 	Book
 	Published: 	Chicago : American Library Association, 1999.
 	Language: 	English

They list 150 pounds per square foot as the standard for libraries, so that stacks can be located anywhere in the library space. They recommend 175 pounds per square foot for dense book storage or map cases.   For compact shelving, they list 300 pounds per square foot.   The book has a lot of other helpful information, so if you can get a copy of it, it might be very useful.

Karen DeWitt, Director
Harrye B. Lyons Design Library
NCSU Libraries
Campus Box 7701
Raleigh, NC 27695-7701
919-513-3860

>>> Michael Young <[log in to unmask]> 7/1/2009 11:15 AM >>>
Good morning,

Is anyone on this list aware of a standard calculation or expression of
the load/weight of library stacks filled with books? I need this to plan
the move of a collection, and to ascertain whether the new location is
strong enough to withstand the weight of the books and stacks. Is there
a minimum strength/capacity for a building level housing book-filled
library stacks? (e.g. 300 lbs per square foot-not a serious estimate,
just an example of the kind of figure I am looking for).

Many thanks!

Michael Young

Art & Design Librarian

Homer Babbidge Library