Hi Sheila and others interested in this issue,

For those attending ALA Annual next week, one of the Membership
Meetings is addressing the topic of libraries in hard times (see below
for the email announcement).  They won't be discussing ARLIS or what
to do for our members, but they could have some useful tips.

Take care,
Laurel Bliss

--
Laurel Bliss
Fine Arts Librarian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dear ALA Member,

Please join us for this year’s ALA Membership Meetings: Libraries in
Hard Times, an open forum highlighting the role of libraries during a
recession. Discover new ideas to stretch your budget; learn advocacy
techniques from experts; and find out how ALA is helping us help
ourselves. Adapt to new fiscal new realities, learn how to help your
library and libraries nationwide, and promote library funding through
national and local advocacy.

Membership Meetings are an important way that you can affect what ALA
does! Make a difference and let your voice be heard! The 2009
Membership Meetings will be held on Saturday, July 11, 3:30 - 5:00 pm
& Monday, July 13, 11:30 am - 1:00 pm at McCormick Place Convention
Center, Room W375A.

At both of our meetings our panelists include Ken Wiggin (Chair, ALA
Committee on Legislation), Carol Brey-Casiano (Council Committee on
Library Advocacy and former ALA President), and Clare Zales
(Pennsylvania State Librarian and Deputy Secretary of Education,
Commissioner of Libraries, for Pennsylvania), along with ALA
Washington Office consultants Chris A. McLean (Saturday) and John
Windhausen (Monday). Each of the four panelists will give a short,
5-minute introduction to the issues and then open the floor to
questions and answers.

Membership Resolutions
In the second half of each meeting we will discuss member resolutions.
Any member can introduce a resolution at a Membership Meeting.
Resolutions passed at a Membership Meeting go to Council.  If Council
also approves, the resolution becomes policy.  Please send resolutions
to Michael Golrick [[log in to unmask]] at least 24 hours
before the meeting and ALA will make copies of the resolution for
distribution.  Otherwise please bring copies of your resolution and be
prepared to read it aloud.

Talk to the Leaders
Toward the end of the meeting we almost always have time for you to
“talk to the leaders” with ALA President Jim Rettig, President-Elect
Camila Alire, and Executive Director Keith Michael Fiels.

The panel’s initial remarks at the two meetings will be the same. The
panel questions and answers, the resolutions, and the questions to the
ALA leaders usually differ greatly from meeting to meeting.