A big thanks to everyone who responded to my query about a visual literacy guide written for an undergraduate student audience.  Here's a list of what was found - web guides, curricula, tips, tutorials on visual literacy and visual rhetoric.
--
Heather Gendron
Art Librarian

Searching the web under "Visual Rhetoric" also retrieves some
interesting hits.

_*Instructional Guides, Syllabi, etc:*_
A short and thin guide that we have is called Visual Literacy: Learn to
See, See to Learn, by Lynell Burmark, ISBN-13: 978-0871206404.  It has
examples of each of these disciplines while offering a general overview
of Visual Literacy and its components.

Visual Thinking Strategies
http://www.vtshome.org/
http://www.vtshome.org/pages/teaching-strategy

Visual Literacy Concepts & Strategies (International Center of Photography)
http://www.icp.org/atf/cf/%7BA0B4EE7B-5A90-46AB-AF37-7115A2D48F94%7D/5_FOCUS_ON_PHOTOGRAPHY_CH3.PDF

ICP's Curriculum Guide
http://www.icp.org/site/c.dnJGKJNsFqG/b.2017177/k.9B45/Curriculum_Guide.htm

Visual Rhetoric and Strategies of Persuasion (Stanford)
http://www.stanford.edu/~steener/f03/PWR1/
<http://www.stanford.edu/%7Esteener/f03/PWR1/>

Viz (UTAustin) Viz. explores the many ways rhetoric, visual culture, and
pedagogy interact with
and inform each other: http://viz.cwrl.utexas.edu/node/140

Visual Literacy Toolbox: Learning to Read Images
<http://www.arhu.umd.edu/vislit/exercises.html>College of Arts and
Humanities, University
of Maryland  http://www.arhu.umd.edu/vislit/exercises.html

Visual Rhetoric/Visual Literacy - Writing about film (Duke)
http://uwp.duke.edu/wstudio/documents/film.pdf

_*WebGuides - internet links, etc.:*_

Visual literacy resources on the Web: A look at what is available (/C&RL
News, /September 2007)
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/publications/crlnews/2007/sep/Visual_literacy_resources_on_the_Web1.cfm

Some Libguides related to VL.
http://community.libguides.com/community_search.php?search=visual%20literacy

INTERNATIONAL VISUAL LITERACY ASSOCIATION
Visual Literacy Portal (an ongoing project)
Check out the links under "Teaching Resources" at
http://www.ivla.org/portal/intro.htm