Hi everyone,
VRA is working on a white paper that will cover similar themes. It seems
to me that some shared thinking between our organizations about this
topic would make some sense.

Additionally, the SAHARA project team (www.saharaonline.org) is also
very interested and concerned about this issue and is also writing a
statement regarding the value of vr librarians and architecture librarians.

Let's do keep the topic discussion going.
Ann

Sheila A. Cork wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a request.  My email yesterday seems to have hit a nerve.
> There are quite a few of us who are interested in the topic of
> unemployment and reduced hours in these difficult tomes.
>
> I thought it might be useful to have a statement from ARLIS/NA
> discussing the value of art libraries and librarianns to adapt and use
> for our own personal situations.  I  emailed Marc Gartler who is on
> the Public Policy Committee of our group and asked him if ARLIS has a
> statement of this kind.   He told me that he doesn't believe that
> there is one, and suggested I develop one for consideration.
>
> So, do you have a sentence or two that to you sums up the value that
> art librarians and libraries bring to their larger institutions?  What
> do you feel makes you an essential (rather than a non-essential) part
> of your parent organization?
>
> I will put together a statement incorporating ideas, and perhaps the
> Public Policy
> Committee will approve it.
>
> You can reply either to the list, or to me personally - I think this
> is a topic that we need to keep talking about!
>
> Sheila A. Cork
> Librarian
> New Orleans Museum of Art
> City Park
> 1 Collins Diboll Circle
> P.O. Box 19123
> New Orleans, LA 70179-0123
>
> 504-658-4117

Ann Whiteside
Head, Rotch Library of Architecture & Planning
Project Director, SAHARA
MIT - Room 7-238
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139