Dear ARLIS Friends,

I sit here at my computer and read the sad news several times a week that librarians are being laid off, made to take early retirement, that art libraries are being closed etc.

My question is, "What are we as an organization doing to counteract the impression that librarians are nonessential to the operation of their parent institutions?"

A follow up question is "What resources do we as an organization provide to a librarian who has been laid off as a result of the harsh economic climate?"

Does anyone have any answers?

Sheila A. Cork
Librarian
New Orleans Museum of Art