Greeting ARLIS members,

I would like to assure you that the VRA White Paper authoring group is hard at work drafting a document that will be of use to both organizations (it is notable that many of us are active members of both ARLIS and VRA) and we hope it will be available to everyone before the new academic year starts. I've copied the original announcement below for your information, but please don't hesitate to contact any of us if you would like to know more or need assistance.

In addition, I'm aware of several session and workshop proposals focused on these issues that have been sent to VRA for the Atlanta conference in March 2010 and so there should be some interesting programming focused on the current economic challenges there too.

Best regards,
Maureen

In response to the current economic climate that has impacted the institutions where our visual resources facilities reside, the VRA Board has asked me to form an authoring group (see below) to produce a white paper that will not only address salient issues but also suggest options for dealing with the evolving visual resources landscape. This document will demonstrate that visual resources professionals and the facilities they manage actively contribute to an institution's mission and technological future by providing necessary expertise, assets, services and learning spaces.

The VRA Board along with a cadre of reviewers from the visual resources community, affiliated organizations (ARLIS, CAA, MCN, etc.) and beyond will be enlisted to comment on the draft to ensure it is useful and will resonate with faculty, administrators and others outside the visual resources profession.

As a first step, we are presently trying to think through ideal VRC scenarios in academic departments/schools, transferring operations to libraries, diversifying by adding IT and/or AV responsibilities, or adjusting roles in museum contexts. To help us with this work, we encourage image professionals who have been engaged in redefining their role and that of their facility to share their experience by contacting Elizabeth Schaub by June 10th,  who will be focused on the case studies section of the paper; in addition, she may communicate the information you provide to the appropriate workers in the authoring group who may want to dialog with you.

We are drafting this document over the next month in order to make the information available as soon as possible. If you need information sooner or have any suggestions, questions, or concerns about this white paper process, please contact Maureen Burns.

Authoring group members and their respective white paper focus:
:: Maureen Burns ([log in to unmask])
Humanities Curator, Visual Resources Collection
University of California, Irvine
focus: VRCs in academic departments/schools

:: Rebecca Moss ([log in to unmask])
Visual Resources Coordinator, Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
focus: VRC's integrated into IT units

:: Meghan Musolff ([log in to unmask])
Assistant Coordinator, Visual Resources Collections, History of Art Department
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
focus: VRCs in academic departments/schools

:: Alex Nichols ([log in to unmask])
Academic Technology Coordinator, Department of Art and Art History
Michigan State University, East Lansing
focus: Diversifying by adding IT and/or AV responsibilities

:: Henry Pisciotta ([log in to unmask])
Arts and Architecture Librarian
Pennsylvania State University
focus: VRCs integrated into university libraries

:: Elizabeth Schaub ([log in to unmask] )
Visual Resources Collection Director, School of Architecture
University of Texas at Austin
Focus: Case studies

:: Betha Whitlow ([log in to unmask] )
Curator of Visual Resources, Department of Art History and Archaeology
Washington University in St. Louis
Focus: VRCs within museums