Greetings Collective Wisdom!

I have a researcher who is asking for help finding examples of, or scholarship about, how the “future” was referenced in medieval art.  I asked if he was referring to eschatology, but he said he’s specifically interested in how medieval artists portrayed the concept of “the future”.

If memory serves me correctly, the medieval mind was primarily concerned with either the end of the world (eschatology) and/or the salvation of one’s soul.  I cannot for the life of me remember any discussion of “the future” in either my undergraduate or graduate medieval art courses.

I have searched the usual sources, periodical indices, the ICA, various references books on both medieval art and iconography, medieval art survey books (Snyder), and even Google, but with no luck.

Can anyone offer some examples of “the future” as depicted in medieval art, or provide me with some validation of my theory that this is not a common theme? The researcher says he has found an example of this theme at Chartres cathedral but did not give me the details.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Terrie

Terrie L. Wilson

Art Librarian and Head, Fine Arts Library

Michigan State University

Fine Arts Library

100 Library

East Lansing, MI  48824