Dear Margaret and all ARLIS Colleagues,

I am puzzled by the lack of formal announcement by the Getty Foundation
regarding their eventual withdrawal of support for the BHA & Avery.
Terence Ford as Head of Research Databases did send two emails that I
saved - Jan. 22, 2009 and April 30. This may be as formal as it gets. I
will forward Mr. Ford's 1/22/09 email to ARLIS-L for ease of access for
those who deleted it. Please read his email - it explains some of the
difficulties of maintaining databases. I think both emails slipped under
the radar of extremely busy librarians coping with budget and personnel
cuts. Or perhaps we figured there was nothing we can do about the
situation. But I urge the Executive Board of ARLIS to at least state our
professional concern and encourage the executive boards of CAA, CAAH,
SAH, AASL, to inform the Getty how crucial these databases are to
research. I am surprised that the membership has not heard any comments
from our Executive Board besides that of Ted Goodman, general editor of
the Avery Index, in regards to Columbia University supporting the Avery
(5/6/09).

The is NOTHING which is comparable to the BHA database: the database
contains more than 590,000 records drawn from 1,400 journals, as well as
books, conference proceedings, essays, exhibition catalogues, selected
art dealers’ catalogues, doctoral dissertations and microform
publications. Records feature detailed abstracts in English or French.

As I pointed out in my email of 5/28/09: JSTOR regularly indexes only 26
architecture titles (as opposed to Avery's 700 journals including
several American architecture journals from their inception in the 19th
century), 106 Art & Art History journals, and 37 archaeology titles. Art
Abstracts states it covers 506 art publications. In 2008, the Arts &
Humanities Citation Index (ISI Web of Knowledge) covered only 3 journals
in Greco-Roman Archaeology, 66 art history journals, and 22 architecture
journals.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Ford for all of his
contributions to the Bibliography of the History of Art and the Avery
Index as the Head of Research Databases, Getty Research Institute and
express the sincere hope that the BHA (International Bibliography of
Art) will survive.

Sincerely,
Jet M. Prendeville, Art/Architecture Librarian
Rice University