  Hello, everyone!

We are not doing a Call for Sessions for ARLIS/NA in Boston.  We have
instead sent out a separate Call for Papers and Call for Workshops.

WHAT IS A CALL FOR PAPERS?

The Call for Papers will be looking for individual proposals for papers
on thematic areas.  The call does not ask for a fully finished paper or
even a published paper.  It asks for a 250 word abstract about the topic
you'd like to present.

We are not accepting proposals for whole sessions.

HOW CAN I MAKE MY SESSION IDEA INTO A PAPER?

    * Take one of the ideas you have for a speaker and submit an
      abstract about the topic.
    * Take one of your ideas and find someone who'd be interested in
      speaking on that topic and ask them to submit an abstract.
    * Take one of your ideas and ask on ARLIS-L if anyone is interested
      in submitting an abstract on that topic.
    * If you already had a session with different speakers in mind,
      contact those people and ask them to submit abstracts along
      similar topic lines.

There's no rules against coordinating!  But we also don't guarantee that
you will be placed together!

HOW WILL YOU ORGANIZE THE PAPERS?  HOW WILL SESSIONS BE CREATED?

The Program Committee and the CPAC will review the ideas for papers and
group the papers into sessions.  In the early fall, there will be a Call
for Moderators.  The moderators will work on the individual sessions,
working with speakers to ensure that they will present in the time
allotted, work with the conference planning committee to obtain
appropriate AV equipment, etc.  This will give members another
opportunity to be involved with the conference.  At that time, there
will also be a Call for Poster Sessions, which will give us more
flexibility to address some of the topics that arise after the sessions
have been set, such as projects and other topics of interest.  It also
gives more time to the membership to think about the things they'd like
to share with their colleagues.

WHY ARE YOU MAKING THIS CHANGE?

We've analyzed the data from the two surveys we sent to ARLIS-L about
the conference, and we've noticed some trends that we've incorporated
into our program planning.  You indicated that you wanted high-quality
sessions, and you've also indicated that you'd like to see changes in
how sessions are structured and more variety in session lengths.  More
people would have liked opportunities to be involved in the sessions,
but the process is not always clear at times.

As a result, we're doing something different for this conference!

I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!

If you have any questions, please contact the Program Co-Chairs,
Jennifer Friedman ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>) or Ann
Whiteside ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Jennifer Friedman, Collections Manager and Public Services Librarian
Rotch Library of Architecture and Planning
Building 7-238, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel: (617) 258-5595    Fax: (617) 253-9331