Oh, collective wisdom!

One of the architecture students is looking for information on a
traditional type of avalanche protection, used in The Alps(?). A
plough-/boat-shaped stone wall erected in the hills/the mountain above the
farm buildings. The wall would divide the avalanche (I suppose) - and
hopefully save the buildings below.

Do I hear any bells ringing?

I have searched ICONDA and Avery and found a few articles on
'Lawinenverbauung' - and I have googled (and found some pictures and
information - not totally relevant). I have also consulted a professor in
architectural history. Now I consult you, maybe I should have started here!
:)

Any/all information is of interest; text, photos, drawings...

Regards,
Kjersti

Kjersti Lie,
head of
The NTNU Library,
Library for Architecture, Civil Engineering and Product Design
Alfred Getz' v. 3
N-7491 TRONDHEIM
NORWAY
tel: +47 73 59 50 92