Dear Mr. Ford and ARLIS Colleagues,

We are all dealing with the consequences of hard economic times so
perhaps this explains why there has not been more discussion on ARLIS-L
about the BHA and the Avery Index.  I do not think professors are aware
of their possible demise.  These databases are unique and essential to
any serious research in art and architecture.  If they do not survive
this transition, the disciplines we work so hard to support will no
longer have premier indexes to the literature.  The BHA not only indexes
1,400 journals, but also the contents of books, exhibition catalogues,
dissertations, etc.  I do not know how damaging dropping RAA will be
since there may be duplication by RILA from 1975-1989 before their
merger as the BHA.  I believe the original RAA database began with
records for 1973.  Of course the Repertoire d'Art et d'Archeologie has a
long distinguished history dating to 1911.

We can not rely on JSTOR to index content to our fields.  JSTOR
regularly indexes only 26 architecture titles (as opposed to Avery's 700
journals including several American architecture journals from their
inception in the 19th century), 106 Art & Art History journals, and 37
archaeology titles.  Art Abstracts states it covers 506 art
publications.  In 2008, the Arts & Humanities Citation Index (ISI Web of
Knowledge) covered only 3 journals in Greco-Roman Archaeology, 66 art
history journals, and 22 architecture journals.  Clearly there is a
compelling need for the BHA and the Avery Index to support serious
scholarship and research.  In 2003-2004,  Rice University Library had to
plan for a serious budget shortfall.  The librarians asked all faculty
to list in priority order the top 10 databases they use in their
research.  It was not surprising that the BHA and Avery Index were
ranked number 1 by the respective faculty so were never in any danger of
being canceled.

It seems to me that professional organizations such as ARLIS, CAA, CAAH,
and others should be working with the Getty to find ways to keep these
indexes flourishing.   Ted Goodman's email of 5/6/09 stating that Jim
Neal, Columbia University Librarian,  is committed to supporting the
production of the Avery Index is extremely important and encouraging.
I hope the Getty Institute will re-evaluate its decision about the BHA.
Museums and universities need these databases.

Sincerely,
Jet Marie Prendeville, Art/Architecture Librarian
Brown Fine Arts Library, Fondren Library
Rice University
Houston, Tx
713 348-2259