The editors of Visual Resources are pleased to announce the publication of a new special double issue, "Visualizing the Invisible: Visionary Technologies in Religious and Cultural Contexts" - http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/spissue/gvir-si4.asp.

Lisa Bitel, Professor of History and Religion at the University of Southern California, who served as guest editor, offers this description:  "This special issue of Visual Resources tackles an enduring psychological and spiritual dilemma: How can we represent the invisible? How do we prove or disprove the validity what others see but we ourselves cannot? Articles in the volume focus on Christian contexts, tracing the ways that visual thinkers of Western society have approached the problem of visualizing the invisible across continents and over centuries. Together, these interdisciplinary studies of religious vision suggest useful new perspectives on the relation of art, aesthetics, science, and faith in our own historical moment of surging religiosity and globalizing visual culture."
Below is a summary listing of the contents of the issue.  For free access to the abstracts of the articles, please visit
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~content=g910561939~db=all
This special double issue is available for single purchase at a special price through the publisher's Web site.

VISUAL RESOURCES: An International Journal of Documentation
Vol. XXV, Nos. 1-2 (ISSN 0197-3762)

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1        Editorial: Visions, Ghosts, Spirits, and Art

BOARD-APPROVED SPECIAL DOUBLE ISSUE
Visualizing the Invisible: Visionary Technologies in Religious and Cultural Contexts

3        Lisa Bitel, Introduction: Visualizing the Invisible: Visionary Technologies in Religious and Cultural Contexts

7       Andrew Fogleman, Finding a Middle Way: Late Medieval Naturalism and Visionary Experience

29     Dallas G. Denery II, Protagoras and the Fourteenth-Century Invention of Epistemological Relativism

53     Luis Corteguera, Talking Images in the Spanish Empire

69     Lisa Bitel with images by Matt Gainer, Looking the Wrong Way: Authenticity and Proof of Religious Vision

93     Roberto Lint Sagarena, Making a There There: Marian Muralism and Devotional Streetscapes

109   Daniel Wojcik, Spirits, Apparitions, and Traditions of Supernatural Photography

137   Ann Taves, Channeled Apparitions: On Visions that Morph and Categories that Slip

153   William A. Christian, Jr., AFTERWORD: Islands in the Sea: The Public and Private Distribution of Knowledge of Religious Visions

Through special arrangements with the journal's publisher, Taylor & Francis/Routledge, we have been able to secure a reduced rate for individual subscribers who are members of the College Art Association, the Visual Resources Association, and the Association of Art Historians.  See http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/offer/gvir-so.asp for details.

Christine L. Sundt, Editor
Helen Ronan, Reviews Editor
Murtha Baca, News Editor

--
Christine L. Sundt, Editor
Visual Resources: An International Journal of Documentation