Hello everyone,

I have been on sabbatical since October and this is my FIRST DAY BACK AT WORK and have some business matters to take care of, one being the announcement of the winner of the Melva J. Dwyer Award. The winner was announced in Indianapolis on April 17, but I know a lot of you could not attend.

The winner is.....
Winnipeg Modern: architecture 1945-1975, University of Manitoba Press, 2006, edited by Dr. Serena Keshavjee who upon hearing that she had won  said, “now I know why I put in that 23-page bibliography!”

-Winnipeg Modern captures the grace and beauty of the Modernist period and includes critical and historical essays on the aesthetic and social project of Modernist architecture in Winnipeg. Lavishly illustrated with 300 photographs from provincial archives, the private archives of architect Henry Kalen, and contemporary photographer Martin Tessler, this book is a testament to the Modernist principles of structural expression and purity of form.

Some words of the jury:

-Beautifully designed and in a class of its own
-  Includes biographies of Manitoba architects and designers influential in the development of modern architecture in Winnipeg.
-   An engaging, well-researched  collection of essays - Scholarly in approach but accessible to anyone with an interest in urbanity and modern architecture in North America -  both regional and international in its appeal.

The Award was administered by me, Chair of ARLIS/NA Canada, and a jury that consisted of:

Larissa Beringer,  Emily Carr University of Art + Design, Eva Revitt, Grant MacEwan College and Cyndie Campbell, National Gallery of Canada.  I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone on the jury, especially Larissa, who also managed to give birth during the deliberation process!!

Liv Valmestad, B.F.A., M.A., M.L.I.S.
Art Librarian
Architecture/Fine Arts Library
University of Manitoba