Hello, ARLIS/NA!

The Program Committee for the ARLIS/NA 2010 Conference in Boston would like to update you on the process for next year’s programming.

We’ve analyzed the results of the data from the two surveys we sent to ARLIS-L about the conference, and we’ve noticed some trends that we’d like to incorporate into our program planning.  Expectations from all of you for conference sessions is high, and members have indicated that they’d like to see changes in how sessions are structured and more variety in session lengths.  More people would have liked opportunities to be involved in the sessions, but the process is not always clear at times.

As a result of the survey data, we are going to be doing something different for this conference!  The Program Committee will be sending out a separate Call for Papers and Call for Workshops.  This approach is modeled after several academic conferences.  Both Calls will be distributed to ARLIS/NA, as well as to other associations relevant to libraries and our subject areas.

The Call for Papers will be looking for individual proposals for papers on thematic areas.  In the surveys, we asked what programming was of interest to you, and the results of your responses is being used to generate the thematic areas included in the call.

The Call for Workshops will be looking for proposals for workshops, with an emphasis on the thematic areas that have been highlighted by the survey data as being of importance and interest to the membership.

The Program Committee and the CPAC will review the ideas for papers and group the papers into sessions.  In the early fall, there will be a Call for Moderators.  The moderators will work on the individual sessions, working with speakers to ensure that they will present in the time allotted, work with the conference planning committee to obtain appropriate AV equipment, etc.  This will give members another opportunity to be involved with the conference.  At that time, there will also be a Call for Poster Sessions, which will give us more flexibility to address some of the topics that arise after the sessions have been set, such as projects and other topics of interest.  It also gives more time to the membership to think about the things they’d like to share with their colleagues.

If you have any questions, please contact the Program Co-Chairs, Jennifer Friedman ([log in to unmask]) or Ann Whiteside ([log in to unmask]).

With regards,

Jennifer Friedman, on behalf of the Program Committee

Program Committee

Jennifer Friedman, MIT, Program Co-Chair
Ann Whiteside, MIT, Program Co-Chair
Susanne Javorski, Wesleyan University
Kathy Ritter
Deb Verhoff, Art Institute of Boston at Lesley College
Whitney Vitale, Boston Architectural College

Jennifer Friedman, Collections Manager and Public Services Librarian
Rotch Library of Architecture and Planning
Building 7-238, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel: (617) 258-5595    Fax: (617) 253-9331