Dear Colleagues,

During the past year, I led a small volunteer team of three in
indexing two "rare serials", the publications of the California
Society of Printmakers, its journal and newsletter. Bancroft Library
holds the only complete file in the United States, and probably the
world.  The publications began in 1975 and run through to the current
day. I devised a standardized vocabulary, most of it consistent with
the Art and Architecture Thesaurus. We recorded our indexing
terminology on Excel spreadsheets, now numbering about 1,100 lines.

Now I'd like to convert the Excel spreadsheets into two formats: one
suitable for printing, which would be housed with the Bancroft
Library's collection; the other an online searchable database.

Is there software for making a data conversion from Excel to an index
format? Are there any protocols to facilitate online searching of
Excel spreadsheets or converting Excel into another format?

At the very least, I can post the Excel spreadsheets for people to
download, but I'm hoping for more elegant solutions.

Any advice welcome!

Maryly Snow
http://www.snowstudios.com
http://www.mesart.com/maryly