First Time Attendees to the ARLIS/NA Conference in Indianapolis.

There is lots of good news about the upcoming ARLIS/NA Conference. I am delighted to learn that 56 of you have registered as “first time attendees.” To welcome you there will be a First Time Attendees Orientation on Friday, April 17th at 5 p.m. in the Lincoln Room, immediately before the convocation. The ARLIS/NA board will be present and a number of us will offer our ideas on survival skills during the conference. We will focus on getting the most out of the conference, including the important topic of which meetings and receptions offer food and drink.

The meeting will also provide an opportunity to get to know the ARLIS/NA leadership and I hope that this will facilitate meeting other conference attendees and networking at the various receptions. You can count on a positive and open spirit of collegiality from members of the board, the very capable conference committee and many onsite volunteers, and all attendees of the conference. We will make every effort to welcome you and to introduce you to members of the ARLIS/NA community.

Amy Lucker, Vice President/President-Elect, and I are planning to organize a dutch treat dinner for first time attendees. The dinner will be on Saturday, April 18th at 8:15 p.m. It would be very useful to know how many first-timers would like to join us. Please let me know ASAP and I will book a table (or multiple tables) at a local restaurant. I realize that budgets are tight and I will find an economical place and the first round of drinks is on us.

I am hoping that many of you first time attendees will want to join Amy Lucker, other board members, and me for dinner.  Please let me know.  It will be a great conference and we look forward to meeting you. I also look forward to hearing your impressions of the conference and your ideas on programs and other issues relating to future conferences.

Ken Soehner

President, ARLIS/NA

Kenneth Soehner

Arthur K. Watson Chief Librarian