Dear Colleagues,

1. BHA's continuing work will be under the new name IBA –
International Bibliography of Art. The next update that the Getty sends
will bear that name, and will include new data (IBA), and all of the
past data of BHA and RILA. It will not contain RAA.

2. Beginning January 1, 2010, the Getty will no longer support the
ongoing IBA. As you may know, the Getty suffered severe losses in its
investments in the past year. Drastic reductions had to be made in
services and staff across the Getty. At the Getty Research Institute,
which houses BHA/IBA, support for BHA/IBA and for Avery were cut.

3. All subscribers will receive scheduled updates for June 30,
September 30, and December 31, 2009. (The June 30 update will also
include the updates from December 31, 2008 and March 31, 2009, which
were delayed for technical reasons.)

I recognize that the news of BHA/IBA moving is surprising and sudden.
Clearly, the decision was not made lightly, and it was made only after
long deliberation. The Getty is determined to find BHA/IBA a good home
that will provide continuing support for this uniquely valuable
resource. Our goal is to move it to an organization that will provide a
transfer in service that subscribers may not even notice. We anticipate
that the same distributors will be used and that after January 1, 2010,
updates will continue in a regular way.

I am especially thankful to art reference librarians for your support,
which has sustained RILA/BHA/IBA for over 29 years, and I ask for your
continued support during the transition to another organization.

I welcome questions or comments at any time.

Terence Ford
Head, Research Databases
Getty Research Institute
phone: 310 440 6599