Heather-
Try searching the auction records databases first to see if you
can locate the piece or artist in question. Assuming you meet
with
success here, check the English art newspapers for the time
period
of the auction. Many times you can find prices realized and
purchasers' names. Also, try the Frick to see if they have an
annotated copy of the auction catalogue for the sale the picture
was in. There may ber a label on the back of the frame indicating
a sale date, as well.

Hope this helps some.
Kevin Mullen