BOOK ARTS WORKSHOP
SPRING 2009   -   MGP STUDIO ARTS
Plainsboro, NJ -   [log in to unmask]

Alternative Shaped Books – Sunday, May 17
Book design is another element in the creation of a fully integrated work.
In this class we will make two hardbound books that differ from the
traditional rectangular book form and move into alternative shaped book structures.

Single Sheets Photo Accordion Book – Saturday Mary 30
The versatility of the accordion book creates immense potential for
content. This book is created with each individual page cut to frame your art –
photos, prints, drawings, etc., ultimately creating an album. The accordion
provides the support for the binding of the book. If time permits we will make
a slipcase to complement it.

Miniature Carousel Book – Sunday, May 31 – 10-12:30 am
A carousel book is an ingenious work, containing three-dimensional
panoramic scenes that are revealed in multilayered openings that recede into space.
Its seductiveness comes as a result of its construction, a series of five
scenes, which when taken together are a play in five acts. When fully opened
it creates a full 180 degrees stage, which from an aerial perspective can be
seen as a complex star.

Variation on the Pamphlet – Sunday, May 31 – 1:30 - 4 pm
The pamphlet is the most basic of book structures, yet its potential for
creative expression is unbound. We will elevate this structure to the many
ways that it can be used – from a hardbound book, to diverse and innovative
page extensions and layouts.

Introduction to Bookbinding – Saturday, June 27
This class is designed for beginners or for those who wants to brush up on
their skills. A great introduction to the world of handmade books. We will
construct a number of structures: a pamphlet, an accordion book, a
non-adhesive multi-section book, and more. Discussion will center on the history of
bookmaking and the contrast between eastern and western binding. A hands-on
approach for teachers, librarians and lovers of books. The book is a magic
object where everyone can present their ideas and stories.

Miniature Books – Sunday, June 28
Come and create a wonderful array of miniature books, using both
traditional and experimental book structures. An assortment of techniques will be
employed, from pop-ups to sewing. We will create an array of books, working with
diverse media, book design and materials. Bring collage elements, your
favorite stamps and anything else you would like to incorporate in your books.

All classes meet 10-4 unless otherwise specified. Materials are included in
the class fee. You would need to supply the basic bookbinding materials.
For additional information please contact Maria G. Pisano at

Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on the
web. Get the Radio Toolbar!