Dear Colleagues:
The International Relations Committee of ARLIS/NA is happy to announce the 2009 study tour to Germany, which will take place October 19-23 (immediately following the Frankfurt Book Fair, which takes place October 14-18).
The trip will officially begin in Berlin on the morning of October 19. Our local contact in Germany is Evelin Morgenstern, of the Initiative for Continuing Education in Academic and Research-Oriented Special Libraries and Related Institutions. She will be our leader and is crafting a wonderful program for our benefit. We will visit Berlin and Munich, with a possible side trip to Dessau (Bauhaus) and an optional extension of the trip (Saturday, October 24) to Weimar.
Here is a tentative list of the venues planned or under consideration:
Berlin (Oct. 19-22):
Kunstbibliothek (ww.smb.spk-berlin.de/kb)
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin (online image databases); (http://www.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de)
* Side trip to Dessau: Bauhaus Meisterhauser
Werkbund Museum der Dinge (http://www.museumderdinge.de)
* Staatliche Museeun zu Berlin Preussischer Kulturbesitz. Zentralarchive http://www.smb.spk-berlin.de)
* Berlinische Galerie. Kunstler-Archive (http://www.berlinischegalerie.de)
Munich (Oct. 22-23):
Zentralinstitut fur Kunstgeschichte (Rudiger Hoyer) (http://www.zikg.eu)
Bayerischen Staatsbibliothek (http://www.bsb-muenchen.de)
Akademie der Bildenden Kunste –Bibliothek (http://www.adbk.mhn.de)
* International Design Museum Munich (http://www.die-neue-sammlung.de)
Weimar (Oct. 24) OPTIONAL – FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO ADD ON A DAY
Herzogin Anna Amalia Bibliothek
* optional venues
Extremely reasonable accommodations have been secured in both Berlin and Munich. The Initiative for Continuing Education … will most likely be able to assume some of the land expenses (perhaps some meals, and/or some of the land transportation). There will be room for 12 travelers. As "recompense" to the Initiative for Continuing Education … for its support, participants will be asked to provide a brief written report on ways in which their libraries are re-orienting and preparing themselves to better serve their constituencies in the changing information landscape. These reports will be compiled for presentation at the Fall meeting of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Kunst- und Museums Bibliotheken later in October (by me, probably).
Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.
I look forward to seeing some of you in Indianapolis.
Best, Linda

Linda Seckelson
Principal Reader Services Librarian
Thomas J. Watson Library